Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Yoga Retreat Costa Rica 2011

I am back from Costa Rica totally inspired, refreshed and full of energy!

Costa Rica is a tropical paradise beyond all my imaginings. Pure Life is what they say and it is exactly this.

I hosted my first yoga retreat at Anamaya Resort from April 16th-23rd. Set on top of a cliff's edge over looking the ocean on the south eastern side of the Nicoya Peninsula, Anamaya is a tranquil piece of heaven and a perfect place to tune in and align with nature. As the guests trickled in I became more and more excited to host this exceptional group. We were 19 people that became one big happy family very quickly.

I would wake up in the Prana Cabina with the monkeys (who always sounded like they had really bad tummy aches) around 5am every morning and head to the yoga deck to practice with the sun rising over the ocean. Usually by the time I started seated postures a few friends would pop up from random corners with a fresh coffee, a book, a towel for drying off after a refreshing morning dip in the infinity pool, or just to snuggle in the swinging chair before led class began. Towards the end of my practice other mats would appear on the deck and more friends would come out to claim their spot or to roll around on their mats before practice. I would rise up from rest after practice and I turn on my ipod to infect the already blissful sounds of the jungle and ocean waves with some mantra chanting or a few of my favourite yoga tunes. At 8am we would all be collected on the deck, some in the front row to soak in the view with the hot sun blazing on their skin and some thankful for their shady spots in the back row where they could take in all of which was about to unfold. We would begin with a talk, focusing on one of the living principles of yoga philosophy and I would beam with enthusiasm to have the honour to share these spiritual observances that allow us to become more peaceful humans. I was told later by a few friends that it was difficult to focus as most mornings as I spoke, my aura was visibly vibrating colours around my body. I'm not surprised to hear that because I felt elated and fully present in every way to be leading such a beautiful, eager group of people in one of the most glorious settings imaginable. Hard work and total devotion poured out of each and every person on that deck. Each and every morning I observed, over and over again, the most beautiful expression of an asana, smoothest rides on the powerful wave of prana, intense focused attention and divine spirits illuminating with a presence that was so easy to guide. My role was effortless and natural.
And all the way through to the last vibration of OM and bowing heads in honour of our practice time together, until the very last day of our retreat when the skies were crying (along with Lindsey and a few others who were better at hiding it) this continued on expanding into what is now a memory of a fruitful time shared amongst a family of friends that will always have this connection from an unforgettable experience.
Namaste
If you would like to see a photo album of retreat highlights go to www.stratusphereyoga.com

No comments:

Post a Comment